Service Learning and Volunteering
Special Announcement: Regional Service-Learning Institute for Faculty
Onondaga Community College and New York Campus Compact are pleased to present A Regional Service-Learning Institute for Faculty on Friday, May 3 from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. in the Otis Suite at the SRC Arena and Events Center. The institute features Dr. Edward Zlotkowski, Professor of English and Media Studies at Bentley University, renowned civic engagement author and one of the more esteemed speakers in the nation on service-learning.
This all-day event is $40 for Campus Compact members, $60 for non-members, and free to Onondaga Community College faculty. Choose the option to "pay by check" and Onondaga will cover your cost. To register online, please visit http://www.nycampuscompact.org/events.html
The Mission of the Office of Service-Learning and Volunteering is to enrich OCC student learning, and to address community-defined needs through service-learning and student civic engagement.
- Support the development of service-learning courses and values
- Support faculty development in the pedagogy of service-learning
- Expand and deepen campus/community partnerships
- Collaborate with regional and national networks
- Promote volunteerism and active citizenship
Stop in to visit our Volunteer Coordinator, who can help you find the perfect site to volunteer or complete your service-learning assignment. Tell us about your interests, special skills and experiences, and we will work with you to find your ideal match. Also check out current and upcoming opportunities.
A sample listing of programs and organizations in need of volunteers:
- After-School programs:
- Seven sites through Syracuse Parks & Recreation
- various sites through Catholic Charities
- many other sites around the city of Syracuse and the suburbs
- American Red Cross
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Boys & Girls Club
- Center for Community Alternatives
- Habitat for Humanity
- Huntington Family Center
- Loretto Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Meals on Wheels
- The Museum of Science and Technology (MOST)
- Rescue Mission
- Sainte Marie Among the Iroquois
- Van Duyn Home & Hospital
- Vera House
- Westcott Community Center
* Opportunities are also available through the United Way of Central New York.
Office contact information
Member since 2001