Social Security Administration Office
You may apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) at the Social Security Administration Office (SSAO). It is located on the 4th floor of the Federal Building at 100 S. Clinton Street in Syracuse. The office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 - 4:00pm. A map is attached with directions. Please avoid going to SSAO on the first or the last day of the month because the waiting time on those particular days may be several hours.
Application for a Social Security card
What to bring with you when visiting the Social Security Office?
- SS Application Form (Form SS-5 (12-2005))
- OCC On-campus Work Authorization form (Original)
- Passport (must be valid at least 6 months)
- I-94 (small white card in your passport)
It will take approximately two weeks to receive your SSN in the mail. Therefore, be sure to request a receipt for your application. You may be required to present this receipt when starting your employment on campus.
Upon receiving your real SSN card by mail, you will need to inform the following offices to record the real SS# in the college system.
- Office of International Student Services (G-130)
- Student Central
- Human Resources, or Employment Office (Book Store or Cafeteria)